What is Fringe?
The first Fringe was held in 1947 as an alternative to the Edinburgh International Festival in Scotland. Fringe performing arts festivals can now be found all over the world and, in the United States, the concept has taken off like a rocket in recent years. While there are no hard and fast rules, Fringe Festivals tend to follow the following tenants:
- Focused on the performing arts: Fringes don’t have a focus on a single discipline or genre, but are a performing-arts smörgåsbord.
- Uncensored: No one gets too fussy about swears or adult themes
- Easy to participate in: Participation runs the gamut from amateurs to professionals.
- Festivals: They last from just a few days to a few weeks and involve lots of people at multiple venues.
- Original: Fringes feature a huge array of original material.
- Rapid-fire: Typically, tech is minimal and shows are kept brief.
We hope you’ll join Region 2 in our Fringe Festival by participating in one of our many events.
Games & Misdemeanors – The KCACTF2 Improv Show– Say Yes, And to this crazy improv contest. Get your team of three together and be prepared to be challenged with short improv games a la “
Cold Read Contest – Grab a side and show us what you got! This is your opportunity to practice another audition skill. Register to participate and get a jump on what plays the sides will be chosen from. Or register at Festival and get the info then. Participants receive a 3-minute slot to show us your audition reading skills.